At Physical Digital® we are forward-thinking company, focusing on the use, design development and implementation of metrology systems into high value manufacturing processes. We have a team of metrology, design and manufacturing experts who each bring specialist knowledge across the fields of design, metrology and reverse engineering. Working across a range of industries including, aerospace, automotive energy and manufacturing, which offers a diverse and rewarding engineering environment to work.
Physical Digital has recently been acquired by the Trescal group, Trescal is a worldwide specialist in calibration, headquartered in Paris, France and located in 24 countries, covering Europe, Americas, Asia (Singapore) and North Africa. Trescal have 50,000 customers, over 3,500 employees globally with nearly 500 in the UK. The acquisition of Physical Digital confirms the business as the UK’s leading 3D measurement company using GOM structured light metrology systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Metrology Applications Engineer to support the forecasted growth of the business over the coming years and beyond. Based in our Guildford, Surrey office. We offer a competitive salary and benefits. Along with the opportunity to work at the cutting edge of engineering, measurement and inspection.
Our commitment to our team:
- Provide a rewarding and ethical work environment.
- Measure performance in a standardised way and reward every individual.
- Identify, recognise and develop expertise.
- Regularly train co-workers, building a learning company mentality.
- Exciting projects spanning nearly every engineering sector.
- Support and mentoring for professional registration.
Main Purpose of the Role
To help support our growing cross sector customer base on metrology related projects. We are looking for an ambitious and proactive candidate with a methodical approach who will take a primary role in a range of technical metrology projects. This will include significant client facing service work and internal technical development projects supporting our design/engineering team. The work will be conducted in a range of environments including our internal metrology laboratory and customer manufacturing facilities which will include extensive travel and overnight stays. This is a demanding but exciting role for the appropriately skilled person. A wide range of on-the-job training will be provided.
The key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting part measurements using primarily the GOM – TRITOP Photogrammetry and ATOS 3D Structured Light scanning sensor, various software along with other systems and techniques
- Delivering metrology solutions for our cross-sector clients
- Utilising and implementing measurement good practice both for internal applications and client-based projects
- Taking day to day responsibility for the project management of client projects
- A flexible approach to the demands of the business
- Deliver metrology results and technical presentations to clients
- Input into technical meetings and discussions
- Uphold companies QMS standards including ISO9001, Nadcap7130 and Nadcap 7004
- Promote and develop 3D measurement opportunities at customer sites
- Working away from the office attending client sites and overnight stays, primarily within the UK will be a requirement of this role
Skills, Competencies and Qualifications
- A degree or HND/HNC in mechanical or manufacturing engineering, although candidates with other academic qualifications combined with relevant experience will also be considered
- Relevant experience using metrology systems would be an advantage
- Knowledge of Polyworks software would be a major advantage
- Working theoretical knowledge of GOM measurement systems (ATOS & TRITOP) and software
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft software (Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel)
- A natural problem solver with excellent technical and analytical skills and understanding of statistics
- Strong project management skills, with the tenacity, enthusiasm and the ability to work independently or as part of a team to meet project goals
- A full driving licence is essential as regular significant national travel is expected
Other desirable skills may include:
- Strong understanding of manufacturing drawings and relevant standards.
- Knowledge of GD&T
- Experience with CAD especially Siemens NX
- Knowledge of Minitab or other statistical software
- Understanding of automated measurement systems and processes
- Programming or scripting (mainly Python)
- Experience with industry standards NADCAP/AS9100/AS9102
- Working towards professional registration
Physical Digital is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
If you would like the opportunity to join this forward-thinking company working on exciting projects and taking the next step in your career and you believe you have the skills and the professionalism we are looking for in this role, please forward your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com